Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Almost there...

Bonjour tout le monde:

Things have been slowing down here, but at the same time, speeding up: next week, we begin the independent study project on our subject of choice. What my subject of choice? Living in a small studio in an art commune with two other girls and no amenities apart from a toilet while I carve wood with a man who only uses one tool to make beautiful abstractions of the human body out of a piece of wood normally used for making a fire to cook over. That's my topic.

But in a more academic setting, I describe my project a little differently. I am going to practice with this man, Serigne Mor Gueye, for three weeks. I hope to make a new sculpture each week. Before I make each sculpture, I am going to interview an artist at the Village des Arts. From the information I gather in these interviews, I hope to understand a little bit about why they are making art, why they've chosen the subject matter and technique they've chosen, and how they see their art practices. From here, I will start my sculpture, keeping in mind that particular artist's way of seeing their art practice. Hopefully, my carving will reflect their view of art-marking. Top it all off with a little exhibition at the end of the month, and I will be a very busy girl.

My hope is to be able to take (and I suppose, therefore, post) process photos and video, if the Internet complies. I will only be around a computer with connection to the tubes once a week, probably during the weekends. So, posts may be a little scarce (not that they haven't been already). Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving (too early?), and keep an eye out on this page every weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment