Saturday, September 11, 2010

La Korite


Yesterday was the celebration of the end of Ramadan which means, apparently, that all we did was eat and nap. When we were debriefed on the subject and the "fete" (party) which was supposed to happen, we were told that we would be encountering tons and tons of people, cook all day long, and be fussed about by our host sisters so that we would look wonderful in our Korite dress.

None of these things really happened. Instead, I woke up at 10, ate baguette and Nutella (standard breakfast fare) and drew pictures with Kadijah. Naomi (my host aunt) let me borrow a dress of hers. Immediately, the house was laughing and commenting how jolie I was looking. See the picture, it could have been worse...


After dressing up, we ate some delicious lamb, French fries, and the first fresh vegetable I have seen in Senegal (carrots, cucumbers, and lettuce!) After that, I napped for three hours. For the rest of the day, we did nothing. Kadijah and Amadou climbed all over me. I read about 1/3 of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Finally, the sun set and we walked around the neighborhood, Kadijah and Amadou in their sparkling new outfits. Total, we left the house for 20 minutes. When we returned, I ate some more delicious rice/millet pudding stuff and went to bed. What a very uneventful holiday...

Best part of the day: Letting Kadijah get a hold of my camera and take about 10 pictures of her fingers.


Ca c'est ma famille. Kadijah, Naomi, et le bebe, Maimouna? (I think there's one more syllable in there...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like Thanksgiving, except without the football! Is there any soccer going on in the country? I know the national team is well respected around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zen and the Art is the book I read when I went off to Japan by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss and Sir: now that Ramadan is over, all people do is watch soccer. I am going to play Frisbee with some Americans (kind of lame) on Thursday though, so people here play Ultimate too!

    Lou: It is my all-time favorite book. Ever. Also, I didn't know you went to Japan...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5VWGXqcRjo&feature=player_embedded watch till the end for some supercute mother-son birds walking down a road.

    ReplyDelete